Psalm 111 - Whole-hearted thanks
|Praise the Lord!
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the works of the Lord,
studied by all who delight in them.
The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy.
They are established forever and ever...
4th Sunday after Epiphany, Year B
Proper 15, Year B, Sunday between August 14 and August 20
Proper 23, Year C, Sunday between October 9 and October 15
This psalm lets the believer declare their "attitude of gratitude" for God's majesty and great works.
Take note that this psalm is spoken in the company of the congregation. The palms are not extemporaneous prayers, but are literary compositions, meant to be re-read and shared. It is believed that most if not all were sung in worship.
Psalm 111 serves as a mini-catechism for the faith of Israel, and can serve as well for those who stand in the Judaic tradition.
- Great are the works of the Lord.
- God's righteousness endures forever.
- The Lord is gracious and merciful.
- Key points of God's history with the people are alluded to: saving deeds (exodus), providing food (manna), establishing a heritage (Abraham).
- God is is ever mindful of his covenant.
This is, however, a song for insiders. You really have to know the story for the faith-claims to resonate.
Gratitude Appreciation Thanks Thankful Grateful, (CC0 1.0).