To the leader. A Psalm of David.
1) How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2) How long must I bear pain in my soul,
and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
3) Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4) and my enemy will say, “I have prevailed”;
my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.
5) But I trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6) I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
Proper 8, Sunday between June 26 and July 2, Year A
This psalm expresses anguish and hope, a plea for help, and describes a relationship with the Lord, all in six compact verses.
It starts with a frequent question. "How long, O Lord"? We hear this in at least seven psalms, and elsewhere in the Hebrew scriptures, because it is human to wonder wh…