A Song of Ascents.
1) Happy is everyone who fears the Lord,
who walks in his ways.
2) You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be happy, and it shall go well with you.
3) Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
around your table.
4) Thus shall the man be blessed
who fears the Lord.
5) The Lord bless you from Zion.
May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
all the days of your life.
6) May you see your children’s children.
Peace be upon Israel!.
Not included in the Revised Common Lectionary.
What a simple prayer: may things go well for you and yours.
In fact, the psalm is stronger. It is not a blessing or a hope. Most of the psalm is phrased as declarations. Happy is... You shall...
It assumes that blessing follows from "fear of the Lord."
"Fear" in this context means more than the physical and emotional reaction of fear. Awe, rever…